At present, under the guidance of the concept of green lighting, a variety of lighting technologies began to emerge, including fiber optic lighting and LED lights as the emerging lighting technology, in the field of green lighting in the front of the times. So what is the difference between fiber optic lighting and LED lighting?
1. Fiber optic lighting
Fiber optic lighting is an emerging lighting method in recent years. Due to some unique physical characteristics of optical fiber itself, fiber optic lighting is used in interior decorative lighting, local effect lighting, billboard lighting, outdoor public area lighting, indoor and outdoor underwater lighting and building profile and façade lighting, and has achieved good lighting results. Fiber optic lighting system is composed of light source, reflector, color filter and optical fiber. When the light source through the reflector, the formation of a near-parallel light. Due to the role of the color filter, and the beam of light into color light. When the beam enters the fiber, the colored light follows the path of the fiber to the intended place. Due to the loss of light on the way, so the light source is generally very strong. The commonly used light source is about 150~250W. And in order to obtain an approximately parallel beam, the luminous point should be as small as possible, approximating a point light source. The reflector is an important factor in obtaining a near-parallel beam. So generally use aspheric reflector. Color filter is to change the color of the light beam parts. According to the need, with the swapping of different colors of the filter to obtain the corresponding color light source. Fiber optic is the main body in the fiber optic lighting system, the role of the fiber is to transmit or launch light to the intended place. Optical fiber is divided into two kinds of end-lighting and body light-emitting. The former is the light beam is transmitted to the end point and then illuminated through the tail light, while the latter is itself a luminous body, forming a flexible column of light. For the fiber optic material, it must be in the visible range, the light energy should be minimal loss to ensure the quality of lighting. But in practice it is impossible to have no loss, so the fiber optic transmission distance of about 30m is optimal.
Features of fiber optic lighting：
- A single light source can have multiple luminous points with the same luminous characteristics.
- The light source is easy to replace and easy to maintain.
- Luminaries can be placed in locations that are difficult to access by non-professionals, and are therefore vandal-proof.
- No ultraviolet and infrared light, which can reduce damage to certain objects such as cultural relics and textiles.
- Luminous point miniaturization, light weight, easy to replace, installation, can be made very small size, placed in glassware or other small objects to form a special decorative lighting effect.
- No electromagnetic interference, can be used in the nuclear magnetic resonance room, radar control room and other special places with electromagnetic shielding requirements.
- No electric spark, no danger of electric shock, can be used in chemical, petroleum, natural gas platform, fountain pool, swimming pool and other special places with fire, explosive hazard or wet and water.
- Can automatically change the light color.
- Reusable, save investment.
- Soft and easy to fold and not fragile, easy to be processed into a variety of different patterns. System heat generation is lower than general lighting system, which can reduce the power consumption of air conditioning system.
LED (Light Emitting Diode) is a semiconductor capable of converting electrical energy into visible light, which changes the principle of incandescent tungsten filament light-emitting and energy-saving lamp trichromatic powder light-emitting, and the use of electric field light-emitting.
Features of LED Lighting:
- Voltage: LED uses low voltage power supply, the supply voltage is between 6-24V, which varies according to the product, so it is a safer power supply than using high voltage power supply.
- Efficacy: consume 80% less energy than incandescent lamps of the same luminous efficiency.
- Applicability: Each unit LED small piece is 3-5mm square, so it can be prepared into various shapes of devices and suitable for variable environment.
- Stability: 100,000 hours with 50% of the initial light decay.
- Response time: Its response time is milliseconds for incandescent lamps and nanoseconds for LED lamps.
- Pollution to the environment: no harmful metal mercury.
- Color: change the current can change color, light-emitting diodes conveniently through chemical modification methods to adjust the energy band structure of the material and band gap, to achieve red, yellow, green, blue, orange multi-color light.
- Price: LED is more expensive, the price of a few LEDs can be comparable to the price of an incandescent lamp, and usually each group of signal lights need to be composed of on 300 to 500 diodes.
Due to the unique advantages of fiber optic lighting and LED lights, they have been widely used in a variety of applications and are constantly being promoted.
The applications and occasions of both are as follows:
1.Fiber optic lighting
Due to the many characteristics of fiber optic lighting, making it a wide range of applications, its different locations with different effects.
a) videoconference desktop lighting using end-illuminated systems, configured with concentrated lens-type light-emitting terminal accessories from the top vertical irradiation, the formation of point-like light spots on the desktop, suitable for participants to read and write without affecting the slide projection lecture (in the case of general lighting fixtures off or brightness is turned down)
b) placed at the top of the higher, difficult to maintain or can not bear the weight of the effect of lighting will be end luminous system for the hotel lobby tall dome full of stars modeling, with diffused light lens-type crystal tailpiece and rotating glass color disc, can form a dynamic effect of the stars shining, non-general lighting system can be compared.
c) outdoor public area of the building guiding lighting using floor tube type (line luminous) system or buried dot matrix guiding type (end luminous) system for sign lighting, compared with the general lighting method to reduce the workload of light source maintenance, and no risk of leakage.
d) outdoor fountain underwater lighting using end-illuminated system, configured underwater type terminal for outdoor fountain underwater lighting, and can be synchronized by the audio signal output from the audio system to control the light output and light color change. Its lighting effect and safety is better than the ordinary low-voltage underwater lighting system, and easy to maintain, without the risk of leakage.
e) Building outline lighting and facade lighting using a combination of line luminous system and end luminous system for building outline and facade lighting. Its construction is convenient, short installation period, has a strong timeliness, and can be reused, saving investment.
f) buildings, cultural relics local lighting using end luminous system, configured with concentrating lens type or diffuse lens type luminous terminal accessories for indoor local lighting. Such as temperature and humidity and ultraviolet, infrared museums have special control requirements of silk artifacts, painting artifacts or printing artifacts of local lighting, are used in fiber optic lighting system.
g) light boxes, billboard lighting line light-emitting fiber is soft and foldable, not fragile, easy to be processed into different patterns, no risk of electric shock, no high-voltage transformer, can automatically change the light color, and easy to install construction, can be reused. Therefore, it is often used in the lighting of billboards on buildings. Compared with traditional neon lights, fiber optic lighting has obvious performance advantages.
h) As well as the more popular clothing, accessories and even mask decoration, fiber optic makes clothing at night can show another unique sense of beauty.
a) signal indication applications: signal lighting is LED monochromatic light is more widely used is also a relatively early field, accounting for about 4% of the LED application market.
b) display applications: signage, billboards, large screen displays, LED for display screen applications account for about 20-25% of LED applications, display screens can be divided into monochrome and color.
c) Lighting applications.
- Portable lamps and lanterns: flashlights, headlamps, miners’ lamps, diving lamps, etc.
- Automotive lights: High-level brake lights, brake lights, turn signals, reverse lights, etc. High-power LEDs have been used in large quantities in automotive lighting.
- Special lighting: solar garden lights, solar street lights, underwater lights, etc. Due to the small size of LED, it is easy to dynamic brightness and color control, so it is more suitable for architectural decorative lighting.
- Backlight lighting: general electronic equipment function display backlight, notebook computer backlight, large size oversized LCD monitor backlight, etc. LED as the backlight for cell phone display is the most widely used field of LED.
- Projection light source: RGB light source for projectors.
- General lighting: all kinds of general lighting fixtures, lighting sources, etc.
Since fiber optic lighting and LED lighting are fundamentally different and have different performance effects, they have their own bias in the sales market.
Although fiber optic lighting now occupies a small market share in the lighting industry, but is proportional to the accelerated growth. According to the characteristics of fiber optic lighting, fiber optic lighting sales market is mainly facing decorative lighting, entertainment lighting, art lighting and special lighting.
LED as a new light source, in recent years, in the current development trend and the concept of green lighting, LED lamps and lanterns product development more and more types, the market share is also growing gradually. However, because the technology of high-power LED is not mature and the cost of white LED can not be effectively reduced to a reasonable level, LED lamps and lanterns in the field of lighting can not be effectively promoted and applied.